Wednesday, November 22, 2017

The Ornament Obsession Continues...

Hi folks...my obsession with making cute Christmas Shaker ornaments has gone to a whole new level and it looks like the production line may be going into overdrive between now and the big day. I'm thinking they would be great little gifts for friends to hang on their tree and may well become an annual tradition. Yesterday's ornament was a bit of a "making it up as I went along" prototype which turned out ok as it happens but hindsight is a wonderful thing and I'm sharing a few hints and tips which made the process easier.
I also changed it up a little bit this time, using Sizzix Circle dies and the gorgeous images from Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous Tattered Christmas...
You will need 12 Circle Frames for each ornament and here comes Tip No 1. I used washi tape to hold the dies together for yesterday's ornament and was constantly having to replace it, so this time I used parcel tape, dusted the back with my anti-static powder tool and it lasted through 24 cuts and I suspect would have been good for lots more.
I used the outer frame die to cut circles from white cardstock which will be the background, circles from acetate and silver and gold Metallic Kraftstock die cut with the falling snow die from Winter Wonderland.
I fixed the silver circle to the white cardstock circle and layered up 5 frames. I fixed some sequins and white stars die cut with Tim Holtz/Sizzix Snowglobe 2 Thinlits to the background. I fixed 3D foam tape behind where the first snowbank will be and sprinkled in more sequins. The foam tape will make sure the loose sequins stay in the top half of the shaker.
I added the first acetate circle using Ranger Medium Matte, stamped the bottom section of the Tattered Snowman on to the snowbank with Black Soot Archival ink, fixed it in place and added the trees die cut with Tim Holtz/Sizzix Home From The Holidays Thinlits. 
I added stars die cut from the silver Metallic Kraftstock to the trees but forgot to photograph that step and Tip No 2...poke all these teeny die cuts into a bowl until you are ready to use them, otherwise and I know from experience, they have a habit of going walk-about.
I stamped the Tattered Snowman image on to Distress Watercolor card with Black Soot Archival Ink and Distress Faded Jeans Oxide ink, die cut using the matching Framelits and fussy cut his hat.
I fixed the snowman in place and created shading around his body and coloured the hat with Faded Jeans and his nose with Carved Pumpkin Distress Markers...
I layered up 5 more frames, added another snowbank, a sprinkling of sequins and the second acetate circle. I added 2 more frames and the final frame which was cut from white cardstock covered with Stick-It. I removed the Stick-It and sprinkled the frame with Nuvo Snow Glow Sparkling Dust and added silver Metallic Kraftstock and white die cut stars to the acetate...
and finished off with a Silver Metallic Trimmings hanger and bow.
I used exactly the same techniques for the Tattered Santa/Gift Ornament and will be keeping this one for my own tree which is decorated in traditonal red and gold...


I hope I've inspired you to look out your scrap pieces of cardstock and make some ornaments to decorate your tree. I'll be back on Friday to share another project for the Tim Holtz Holiday Inspiration Series 2017...until then...
Happy Crafting
Hugs Kath xxx