Monday, September 27, 2010

Well I Never

Morning folks...no crafty stuff to share today....I am knee deep in stuff for my demo day on Saturday at Simply Create...glittered up to the eyeballs and fingers so inky I may just have to send The Furry Boy to do the shopping  with a note stuck in his collar......but must share my recent "well I never" moment.
You all know I am a big fan of all things Ranger and Tim Holtz in particular and I absolutely CANNOT craft without my trusty non-stick craft mat which sits permanently on my workdesk but little did I know how versatile my little friend was and how he would save my bacon so to speak.  The weather here has been so darned chilly that I decided the other night to make some hearty comfort food...a good old fashioned steak pie but big problem....no flour...oh yes the busy crafter lady who also doubles as the cook around here and has a list of other job titles a mile long had forgotten to stock up the store cupboard again....and if you've ever been caught short you will know that rolling out pastry without a dusting of flour is a disaster waiting to happen.....one gooey mess welded to the work surface.    Suddenly I was hit by a bolt of TH inspiration......would my little friend do the trick......
In a word.....YESSSSSSSS......result one Timmie Fantastic Pie
with new tatties
green beans and chappit neeps (translation....mashed turnip or swede)
and thanks to the wonderful NSM.....grub's up right on time and can I just point out this is hubby's portion....mine would be about half of that

I did have a little moment of panic as I tucked into my yummy pie.....did I clean the mat properly or will this be the world's first Altered Brushed Corduroy Pie....is Distress Ink poisonous if taken by mouth....oh dear I hope not but too late now I've started and I intend to finish.    Obviously not.....if I am relating the tale of my super versatile friend I survived the night with no ill effects but I think I missed a trick here....why didn't I run the pastry through one of Tim's fabulous Embossing Folders before baking......now wouldn't that have been great fun...it could start a whole new trend in pie making and Gordon Ramsay and Jamie Oliver take note.....don't go pinching my idea....remember folks you saw it here first.
OK folks enough waffling for one day.....a million and one crafty things to do before the end of the week so no more time for experimental pie making Tim Holtz style....guess who will be back tomorrow for another of his stash clearing goodie give-aways and he isn't best pleased with his old Mum.
The countdown continues......only
150
more sleeps until my TH play date
Hugs Kath xxx

24 comments:

  1. Oh Kath, it's cold, damp and quite dark here but your blog has made me laugh (and wonder how long it would take me to defrost the meat, cook it then make a pie) When I was deorating a very complicated cake once, I can remember running some sugar flowerpaste through Andreas Sizzix machine a few years ago - what a mess, took days to pick the bits out of her die !! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kath you pie looks fantastic!! Great use of the mat. Hope you and Buddy have a great day. Hugs Anesha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crafting in the Kitchen, love it Kath! Yep, our crafty stash comes in really handy at times! Using foam pads at mo to support my glasses on my nose, working a treat. nnalorac.xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morning Kath & Buddy, this is the 2nd time I've typed this blogger is playing up this morning. Wel what a wonderful pie it looks so scrumptious I can smell it from here. Glad everything turned out well. Big hugs JO.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a brain wave that was, we women are brilliant under stress..lol...your pie looks devine, made me feel hungry and it's only 9-30am...lol..xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Us crafters are so inventive! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morning Kath.....oh I wished I could have joined you with your meal...yummmy..yummy...
    Your post really made me smile and what a fantastic idea using the craft mat...think I need to get a spare one now...

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kath that food looks yummy! Shame you cant send me a portion lol xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Kath you do cheer me up of a morning, your pie looked delicious lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kath, I'm sat here eating my sandwich for lunch. But guess what it's just lost its appeal, I could murder for some of your pie. What a brill idea and a great looking dinner. Have a fun day and thanks for the chuckles. Hugs x ChrisB

    ReplyDelete
  11. this was so funny! you could have used your embossing folders, or your sizzex to make bonny shapes on the pastry!

    love Teen xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh that pie looks so good - I hope with that plateful that hubby spared some for Buddy.

    My doggy twosome would eat everything, green beans and all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You crack me up Kath - what next lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You crack me up Kath - what next lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. There's only one word for it - YUMMY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Kath,
    sitting here waiting for my dinner to cook and now i'm dribbling at that pie!!! oh my goodness it looks gorgeous and have to admit i could easily woof that down - no probs!!
    hugs
    Suzie qx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh.That looks sooooo yummy.You are sooooo clever Kath having that brain wave using that mat.xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. You need to tell the man himself waht you've been up to when you see him lol. Wish I was dropping in Saturday to see the glitter but I'll be in NY and hopefully Michaels and The Ink Pad shop lol. I have the addresses.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow that pie looks scrummy can I come to yours for tea...what an interesting use for your craft mat...certainly getting your moneys worth !

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mmmmm pie looks yummy. Haven't made a steak pie for ages! Hope you're going to show us some sneaky peeks of what you're doing at the demo day. Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday afternoon.

    Kat xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic! I bet Mr. H. himself would be mega impressed too!

    PLEASE give us a shout if ever you do decide to do an embossed pie top - I'd love to see that :)

    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gosh that looks a yummy pie, what a great idea for rolling out the pastry! Have a lovely day, x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yummy! Please share recipe! You're one ingenious Lady! I bow to thee...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Kath you are such a delightful writer and I so enjoyed this post. The dinner looks so yummy and happy to know you are still alive. Hugs,Kathy

    ReplyDelete