Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Winter Seals Christmas Ornaments

Hi my friends, I'm back to share another project using the Winter Seals Cling stamp set from Simon Says Peace On Earth release to make Christmas shaker ornaments to send to family and friends, a keepsake to hang on their Christmas tree and like me, you could make this an annual tradition, a little gift to include with their Christmas card.  I first made ornaments for friends and family way back in 2017 using the same method and all the details are HERE.


I began by stamping the four images on to scraps of Distress Watercolor card, inked with Chipped Sapphire Distress Oxide ink.I die-cut the images with a circle die slightly larger to leave a border and also die-cut 4 circles from acetate to use for the shaker element of the ornament.

I fixed the circle die above and one which was slightly smaller together with packing tape which is more robust than washi tape and will last through lots of die-cuts and die-cut 7 circle frames for each ornament. I prefer this method of building layers of card to make a shaker as it eliminates the use of foam adhesive which can be tricky to fix around such a thin frame and there is no sticky residue on the inside of the frames for the shaker elements to get stuck on. But hey, that's just my preference, YOU DO YOU, as my adorable Professor keeps saying.
I fixed 3 frames to each ornament using Distress Collage Medium, fixed the Idea-ology Velvet Trim, sandwiched between the 3rd and 4th frame, held in place with Scor Tape and added the rest of the frames. I fixed Sizzix Adhesive Sheet to scraps of Distress Watercolor card and Sizzix Silver Glitter card, die-cut using Tim Holtz/Sizzix Countryside and Swirling Stars Thinlits and added to the backgrounds. I die-cut the final frames from Sizzix Silver Glitter card and fixed to the die-cut acetate circles. I filled the ornaments with a mix of Distress Mica Flakes, Sizzix Silver Stars and Stampendous Frantage White Chunky Embossing Powder (yes, you did read that correctly and as long as the recipient doesn't go near the ornament with a heat tool, all will be well) and fixed the final sparkly frame to seal.
I painted the back and sides of the ornaments using Brushed Pewter Distress Paint and on reflection, wish that I had also painted the inside of the white frames while assembling but that's me just being picky and no way was I starting over. I stamped the sentiment from Tim Holtz STAMPtember 2021 stamp set inked with Black Soot Distress Archival on to plain Idea-ology Collage Paper and die-cut the numbers from scraps of Distress Watercolor card using Tim Holtz/Sizzix Alphanumeric Bold Thinlits and fixed to the back of the ornaments using Distress Collage Medium Matte.



I'm setting this stamp set to one side because it's time to get my spooky Halloween hat on, have fun with whatever you are making.
Hugs Kath xxx








3 comments:

  1. Beautiful ornaments Kath, so pretty.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are gorgeous and, oh, my goodness, why did I never think to use layers of cardstock to eliminate the need for foam tape when making shaker cards. You are a genius!!! I hate making shaker cards because it is so hard to get the foam tape put on and then it is sticky and the sequins stick to it. I will do it your way from now on. It is so much better. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are amazing ornaments and knowing there won’t be anymore like these other than what you make being your own creations xx

    ReplyDelete