Monday, May 20, 2024

Tim Holtz/Tonic Studios Recoil Scissors

Hello my friends, it's an exciting news day. Tim Holtz and Tonic Studios have just released their fabulous new Recoil Scissors  - 9.5" and Mini Snips and I couldn't wait to put these new boys through their paces when they arrived in the cubbyhole. The minute I released them from the packaging, I knew they would become favourites. They are so comfortable to hold with their soft cushioned handles, have super duper sharp non serrated blades and the added safety features of a locking mechanism and blade covers when not in use and also come with interchangeable high tension springs. For more info and to see them in action, make sure you join Tim on his YouTube channcel for the official Live launch on Saturday 25th May at 9am PT, 12pm ET or 5pm in the UK.

I decided to make the Recoil Scissors their very own storage box to sit on my counter top for easy access.

I just happened to have an empty Ranger Heat It Tool box and the 9.5" Recoil Scissors made short work of chopping off the lid and shortening the top.
I covered the outside and inside of the box with Tim Holtz Idea-ology paper from my hoard of long since retired paper pads, neatened the top edge with Idea-ology Design Tape and applied Black Soot Distress Paint along the edges.
I used the 9.5" Recoil Scissors to trim out strips from Tim Holtz/Eclectic Elements Colorblock fabric and oh boy, these super sharp blades are amazing, one minute they're chopping thick cardboard, the next minute effortlessly cutting fabric.
I stamped letters from Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous Blockprint, inked with Black Soot Distress Archival ink, on to the fabric strips and trimmed into individual tiles with the Mini Recoil Snips.
I fixed the alphabet tiles to Distress Watercolor card and trimmed out with the 9.5" Recoil Scissors. I am so impressed that with the super sharp blades there was no fraying on the edges of the fabric.
I stamped the image from Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous Abstract Florals, inked with Black Soot Distress Archival ink, on to Distress Watercolor card, coloured with Distress Watercolor Pencils and a Distress Detailer Brush and easily fussy cut with the Mini Recoil Snips. I'm a bit of a fussy cutting nerd and believe me, the Recoil Scissors will be my absolute No 1 go to from now on.
Just to up the anti - I decided to re-stamp the flower head image, inked with Black Soot Distress Archival ink, on to a square of the Colorblock fabric and the magical Recoil Snips didn't let me down. I fixed the perfectly fussy cut flowerhead on top of the original using Distress Collage Medium.
I fixed larger trimmed rectangles of the Colorblock fabric to the front and sides of the box, added the alphabet tiles and Abstract flower using Distress Collage Medium.  To finish I applied Distress Collage Medium randomly over the front of the box, sprinkled lightly with Stampendous Frantage White Chunky Embossing Enamel and heat set.


Have fun with whatever you are making.
Hugs Kath xxx

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful and the flower has been cut to perfection with your new scissors

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those scissors look wonderful and comfy to use, may have to treat myself as TH always has the very best tools to use.
    I love the box you made, gorgeous. xx

    ReplyDelete