Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Tim Holtz/Sizzix Chapter 3 - Matchbox Sewing Tidy

Hi my friends, I'm sharing the Sewing Box Tidy I made for the YouTube Live launch of Tim Holtz/Sizzix Chapter 3 dies using the "this will get so much use" Matchbox BigZ L/Thinlits die. If you missed the Live you can watch the replay to catch up with all the products from this release and feast your eyes on the amazing amazing inspirational projects from the makers over on Tim's blog HERE.




I don't have a step by step tutorial for this project because once I started, I was caught up in the process of  "would it work or not" but it's pretty self explanatory. I die-cut 5 matchboxes from Distress Media White HeavyStock, folded and assembled using the score lines left by the die. Tim shared a demo during the Live on how to assemble the matchboxes on the YouTube Live at approx 30 minutes. I fixed 4 of the matchbox sleeves together using Distress Collage Medium Matte, trimmed Distress Media White HeavyStock, covered with Idea-ology Memoranda paper and fixed in place to create the top and sides, in essence, creating a box around the sleeves. I then turned my attention to the boxes themselves. I fixed Idea-ology Floral Linen Tape which is self adhesive around the outside edges and folded over to the inside. I punched a hole in the front of each drawer and added an Idea-ology Ring Fastener as a drawer pull.
I intended this to be a decor piece rather than a practical item so I applied a generous amount of Distress Collage Medium Matte into the boxes containing the buttons and added more as I layered up the buttons, one, to make them more secure for the journey across the pond and second, I had visions of Tim tipping it up, the buttons flying all over his studio floor and me being on the naughty step. I used the matching Thinlits die that comes with the Matchbox BigZ L to create the centre aperture in the sleeve, added acetate behind and assembled.
And that's it my friends, not nearly as complicated as it might seem. I covered a Small Etcetera Tag with co-ordinating Memoranda papers, fixed the Matchboxes in place with Distress Collage Medium, tucked Idea-ology Ribbons and Trims into the drawers and decorated with various bits and pieces of Idea-ology and cotton reels and buttons from my stash.
To finish I die-cut the word "SEW" from red and cream cardstock using the Alphanumeric Varsity Thinlits.

This is the last of the projects I made for the Chapter 3 launch and I hope you have enjoyed seeing them in more detail as much as I enjoyed making them. I'll be back soon to share sneaky peeks of  "coming soon" makes with more fabulous products from Tim Holtz and Sizzix. In the meantime, have fun with whatever you are making.
Hugs Kath xxx