Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Snowy Craft Days

Hi my friends, after weeks of beautiful spring-like days, the good old British weather brought me back down to earth with a bump when I woke up yesterday morning to a freezing winter wonderland. Don't be fooled by the beautiful blue sky, it was absolutely baltic out there.

I had an appointment to get to and although getting the car out of the driveway wasn't a problem, thanks to my magical winter tyres, getting to the car from the front door was a bit of a challenge,  a "snow over the top of my boots" challenge. 
So, on my return, it was time to look out the snowblower and clear a path to get in and out of the car and more importantly, the imminent delivery of some delicious crafty parcels.
After a bowl of hot soup to thaw me out, I was ready to head to the cubbyhole, have some fun with the new Alcohol Ink Surfaces from Tim Holtz and Ranger and turn them into cards. If you missed Tim's recent YouTube Live and want to learn about the new surfaces and get an amazing refresher course on Alcohol Inks, you can watch the replay HERE.
I trimmed the Tim Holtz 5" x 7" Dura Lar Clear Transparent Sheet in half and coloured using Turquoise, Dijon, Mushroom and Moss Alcohol Inks, Blending Solution and Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol with the Tim Holtz Air Blower and I did try to keep the colours clear of the edges of the sheets as much as possible.
I stamped the moth from Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous Specimen on to a 4" x 5.1/2" panel of Distress Watercolor card, inked with Black Soot Distress Archival.
I aligned the Dura Lar panel over the stamped image, re-stamped with Distress Black Soot Archival ink and stamped the dragonfly from Classics #1 on to the second panel.
I added small drops of Ranger Glossy Accents in the corners at the back of the moth panel and pressed into place. Once dry, I added Idea-ology Halloween Pearl Droplets on top to hide the adhesive.
On the second card, I coloured an Idea-ology Story Stick and Hex Fasteners with Distress Gilded Foundry Wax, punched holes through the card and Dura Lar sheet and fixed the fasteners in place. I spritzed the Distress Gilded Foundry Wax with Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol, added splatters and heat set carefully, the Dura Lar is heat tolerant but I kept my heat gun moving to avoid over heating.
I matted the panels on to Distress Black HeavyStock, trimmed to 4.1/2" x 6" and fixed to white card blanks cut to the same size.
To finish I added Idea-ology Thoughts Label Stickers.


Now I just need to make some cards with the rest of the Alcohol Ink backgrounds I made, inspired by Tim's recent YouTube Live. If you missed it, you can watch the replay HERE.
Have fun with whatever you are making.
Hugs Kath xxx

3 comments:

  1. Oh WOW Kath these are fabulous they really are. The background colours are beautiful and I love the images, perfectly 'Kath' cards as I like to call this style. BTW the snow looks gorgeous but thats about it, nothing here just cold.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. stunning cards Kath...down in in deepest Somerset we have had a splattering of snow..take care it very slippery underfoot..

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. l have to agree Kath its really cold outside we don't have snow but its predicted so it might happen from tomorrow, your card as always is gorgeous l love the colours and that Moth looks so realistic is that a dragonfly too! what ever absolutely stunning x

    ReplyDelete