Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Tim Holtz/Tonic Studios - Precision Trimmer

Hi my friends, if you have been watching the Tim Holtz YouTube launch of the new Tonic Studios Precision 12.5" Trimmer, you can probably guess I was excited to put it through it's paces when it arrived in the cubbyhole. I love all my Tim Holtz Guillotine Trimmers but this is a Slide Timmer with the added bonus of not having to flip the ruler guide to slide your paper into place and it also comes with a scoring blade. The cutting blade cartridge has two arrows, top and bottom allowing you to align and make precision cuts when you are trimming smaller pieces, such as photos or ephemera. The trimmer comes with 2 cutting blades and a scoring blade and replacements are available to purchase if and when you need to replace them. 

With some last minute goody bags to make for the neighbourhood Trick or Treaters and a pile of old favourite Tim Holtz 12" x 12" papers in my stash to use up, I got to work.
I extended the arms on the trimmer, placed the paper up against the top bar and with the cutting blade in place, cut to 8.5" x 6". I moved the paper down to the bottom bar where I had added the scoring blade and scored at 2", 4", 6" and 8" on the long side, turned the paper around and scored at 2" on the short side. Being able to cut and score your paper in one go is an absolute time saver if you are making multiples.

I trimmed along the score lines up to the 2" score line mark with my scissors and cut notches at the top and bottom of the 1/2" tab. 
I fixed tape to the tab, laid the box flat and folded in each side to align with the tape on the tab.
I folded the sections on the 2" score line in to form the bottom of the box and secured with Distress Collage Medium.
I pinched the top of the bag together, ran my fingers down the sides to form indents and punched a hole through both layers of the bag top.
I die-cut the ghosts from Distress Watercolor card which had previously been given a Distress Rock Candy Glitter overcoat and black cardstock using Tim Holtz/Sizzix Frightful Things Thinlits. I die-cut "BOO" from orange cardstock using Tim Holtz/Sizzix Alphanumeric Classic Upper Thinlits and fixed the ghost and the letters to the bag using Distress Collage Medium. I filled the bags with treats, tied ribbon to close and added a twine bow.


The papers I used to make the boxes are discontinued but you may still have them in your stash, if not, you could use any of the Idea-ology Halloween Backdrops papers which I have linked below.

Happy Crafting
Hugs Kath xxx

1 comment:

  1. Glad you like your new trimmer Kath, every little helps. I love the treat bags you made, they look very spooky, the local kids must have been delighted. xxx

    ReplyDelete