Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Fun With Alcohol Inks

Hi my friends, if you watched the Tim Holtz YouTube Live demo on Alcohol Inks, you'll know how amazing it was and if you didn't, I would highly recommend you go catch up on the replay
HERE. It doesn't matter how much you think you know about Alcohol Inks, Tim always manages to share a few more spicy nuggets of inspiration and information to inspire you to look out those inks again.
I made a pile of backgrounds but these dark and moody combinations created by swiping panels of Distress White Yupo and Distress Translucent Yupo through puddles of Pitch Black, Mushroom, Slate and Moss Alcohol Inks either diluted with Blending Solution or Isopropyl, are my favourites and I'm sharing how I turned one of them into a card.


I used the top left panel in the first photo using 5" x 7" Distress Translucent Yupo, the above mentioned Alcohol Inks with Blending Solution. Once I was happy with the background, I stamped the images from Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous Faded Type inked with Alcohol Lift Ink and Black Soot and Barn Door Distress Archival inks.Then it was time to play with the secret surprise parcel very kindly sent to me by Tim Holtz and Simon Says Stamp containing Tim's new releases from Ranger. And secret surprises are the best, it was like Christmas morning when the box arrived because, on this occasion, I had no idea what it contained.I die-cut the Tim Holtz/Sizzix Perspective butterfly from Distress Watercolor card and coloured with Speckled Egg, Crackling Campfire (so happy to finally add these to my mini ink pad collection) and Fired Brick Distress Mini Inks using the new domed blending foams. I love love love my original mini blending foams and I'm so happy that the new domed blending foams are not a replacement but more of an alternative, great for using with stencils and Distress Oxide ink application and woohoo, I can't wait to try out the new soft rubber brayers. But back to the project, I tapped the Distress Embossing Ink Pad over the butterfly, sprinkled randomly with Speckled Egg and Fired Brick Distress Embossing Glazes and heated until melted.
I stamped the sentiments from Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous Tiny Text on to a scrap of Alcohol Black Ink CardStock inked with Versamark ink, sprinkled with Ranger Superfine White Embossing Powder and heat set. 
I confess trimming perfectly straight sentiment strips is not one of my talents so I always reach for my trusty Simon Says Stamp set of Nested Banners.
I curled the butterfly wings on the right side slightly and fixed the butterfly to the panel using Distress Collage Medium, applying the adhesive to the body and tips of the wings only to create dimension and trimmed off the excess at the left edge of the panel. I added the sentiment strips popped up on Sizzix Foam Adhesive.
I added splatters of Picket Fence Distress Paint.
I trimmed the panel down to 4.3/4" x 6.3/4", matted on to a slightly larger panel of Idea-ology BlackOut cardstock and fixed to a 5" x 7" white card blank.

I will be sharing more projects using the other Alcohol Ink backgrounds, in the meantime, have fun with whatever you are creating.
Hugs Kath xxx