Thursday, October 12, 2023

Distress Mica Stain + Black Texture Paste Cards

Hi my friends, I finally found some time to clear my workdesk and just have some Tim Holtz Halloween Hoopla playtime. If you missed Saturday's amazing and lots of fun Youtube Lives, I seriously recommend that you go watch them, on replay PART 1 and PART 2. There are lots of amazing tips and tricks and you certainly won't be disappointed. I had lots of fun making Halloween cards using Distress Black Texture Paste and isn't it great news that this paste is now part of the everyday line and some of the newly released Distress Mica Stains. The cards originally started out as shaker cards but I changed my mind so many times that it's a miracle they ever got finished at all and don't get me started on the challenge of photographing shimmer and acetate together.

I applied Distress Black Texture Paste through Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous Thorned Layering Stencil on to a 4" x 5.1/4" panel of Distress Watercolor card. Once the paste was dry, I spritzed the panel lightly with water, followed by Yuletide, Mulled Cider, Bubbling Cauldron and Fallen Acorn Distress Mica Stains and dried. I added splatters of Twisted Citron Distress Oxide and dried again. The panel on the right was the mop up from all the over-spray on my glass media mat.
Check out the amazing shimmer as you tilt the panel in the light
I die-cut both panels using the Boo and Eek frames from Tim Holtz/Sizzix Big Frights Thinlits. I positioned the word dies on the frames, die-cut and set aside the one on the left to use later.
I fixed the panel to Distress Black HeavyStock, die-cut the Boo word again 4 times from black card and layered behind the original die-cut to create dimension. 
I changed my mind about doing a shaker card and went off down an entirely different rabbit hole. I trimmed acetate to 4" x 5.1/4" and stamped the ghost image from Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous Halloween Sketchbook, inked with StazOn Jet Black ink. I stamped the sentiment from Halloween Sketchbook and the cobweb from Life Is A Party, inked with StazOn CottonWhite. Once the inks had dried, I turned the panel over and coloured behind the ghost with the StazOn Cotton White re-inker using a small brush.
I fixed the die-cut word to the acetate panel using black foam squares to create more dimension
I fixed the acetate to the card panel using dots of Distress Collage Medium behind the ghost and the die-cut word
The second card was created in exactly the same way using Distress Black Texture Paste through the Pumpkins Mini Layering Stencil from Set 22 and spritzed with the same colours, just using more of the Bubbling Cauldron and Mulled Cider and just a little of the Yuletide. I stamped the spider from Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous Foreboding and the cobweb from Life Of The Party, inked with StazOn Jet Black and coloured the spider body on the reverse using StazOn White. Although this acetate is not technically heat resistant, I chanced my luck, stamped the sentiment from Halloween Sketchbook with Distress Picket Fence ink, sprinkled with white embossing powder and heat set.



Have fun with whatever you are creating
Hugs Kath xxx

3 comments:

  1. Fabulous cards Kath, love the backgrounds and gorgeous dies. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these so much Kath, Halloween makes just makes me smile so much, they are so much fun. Huge hugs Lou xxx

    ReplyDelete