Tuesday, December 12, 2023

A New Adventure

Hello my friends, I've been intrigued for some time about wax seals, the newest trend it seems to hit the craft world, so I ordered the Spellbinders Starter Kit which contains all you need to get going and decided to give it a shot. I'm sharing a card I made using one of the wax seals and have to admit I think I'm hooked.

I unpacked the box, placed the silicone mat on my glass media mat and arranged the burner, seal stamp, wax beads and spoon. Once I lit the tea light and placed it under the burner, I was ready to rock and roll.
I quickly realised there is a definite knack to achieving anything resembling a roundish wax seal. After many failed attempts and remelting of my mis-shapen attempts. In my opinion, the secret is to take things slow. Once you have poured out your circle of wax, don't go into panic mode and just press your stamp in to the wax. Take your time, hover the stamp above the circle of wax and then gently lower it, watching what the wax is doing and adjust the position of the stamp, if necessary, before fully committing.
You do you but this method certainly worked for me and before you know I'm polishing my halo and churning them out like a pro.
I only have two colours, Gold and Citrine which limited the colour palette of the card I intended to use with the seal. But I have taken steps to rectify that and am waiting for my parcel of extra colours, new wax stamps and DecoColor pens to arrive, ready for some playtime after Christmas.  I decided to use the Citrine wax Seal on my card and smooshed Twisted Citron Distress Oxide ink on to my glass Media Mat, spritzed with water to create a light background on an A2 panel of Distress Watercolor card. I added splatters of Sterling Foundry Wax and heat set.
I added Hero Arts Transfers Collage Backgrounds which seems to be another new obsession. I have always loved Tim Holtz Idea-ology Remnant Rubs and I suspect that rub-ons may be making a comeback.
I die-cut Simon Says Windswept Leaves and Fruitful Berries from Distress Watercolor card and coloured with Twisted Citron, Rustic Wilderness and Lumberjack Plaid using Distress Blending Brushes.
I trimmed the panel to 4" x 5.1/4", fixed a Tim Holtz/Idea-ology Christmas 2023 Layer Frame and sticker from the Christmas 2023 Sticker Book on the panel using Distress Collage Medium and added the die-cuts popped up on foam squares to create dimension.
I wound red thread around the panel and tied in a bow. I rubbed Silver Wax on to the seal to highlight the raised detail and fixed in place with Distress Collage Medium.
To finish I matted the panel on to an A2 panel of Distress Kraft HeavyStock and fixed to an A2 white card blank.


Have fun if you too are embarking on a wax seal journey, it just takes a little bit of patience and is not nearly as scary as you might think.
Hugs Kath xxx

2 comments:

  1. These look beautiful , everything you make is always perfect. I love trying new things if they are affordable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your so right Kath what a great new trend and what a lovely finish and so very pretty xx

    ReplyDelete