Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Perfect Non-Slip Organza Bow

I have been working on my DT card today for Penny Black Saturday next week.....it's using acetate (VERY IN AT THE MOMENT) and organza ribbon.....well how do you fix organza to acetate without ending up with a gluey mess...well I can't show you the card but let me share with you a little trick I learned some years ago and it's the perfect way to do a non-slip wrap around bow on acetate or in fact on cardstock. Now I've seen demos on Craft TV shows....."just wrap the ribbon around your card and tie in a bow" OK first you need to borrow someone's finger to hold the knot (and I don't always have access to somebody's finger) and it maybe stays in place for the duration of their demo but let me tell you after a bit of handling it will be slipping and sliding around all over the shop. Because I have been crafting for donkeys years I assume that everybody knows these things and forget that there are lots of new crafters out there so this is for you.
I used satin ribbon for the demo because the camera isn't always happy with organza. Folk at demos have said to me I just stick my satin ribbon down with D/S tape.....OK that's fine but I don't think you get that proper wrap around look so I still do it this way whatever type of ribbon.
Please forgive the camera work....these are not your usual professional tutorial pics.

Here is the finished article on an acetate card......

and the back just as neat as the front

First punch two holes at the folded edge of your card in the centre
P.S. A very useful comment from Eveline - she only uses one hole....so always open to suggestions, I gave it a try and it works....the only thing I would say if you are using a heavier wide ribbon it might be better to go with the two holes.

Then lay the ribbon over the holes and turn over....

You are now going to feed the ends of the ribbon through the punched holes...and when you turn your card over it will look like this
All you have to do now is tie your ribbon in a knot and tie your perfect bow.
Voila - one perfectly secure wrap around bow that is not going anywhere....give it a try and let me know how you get on.
Love Kath xxxx