Thursday, August 19, 2021

Tim Holtz/Sizzix - Ghost Town Shadow Box

Hi my friends, I'm sharing the shadow box project I made for the Tim Holtz YouTube Live launch of the Sizzix Halloween/Fall release, inspired by the poem by Mary Howitt - The Spider and The Fly.


I de-constructed a shadow box frame and set aside the large outer frame and glass for use on another project.
I trimmed a piece of acetate to fit the shadow box backing panel, coloured with Ember, Dijon, Mushroom Alcohol Inks and Gilded Alloy Alcohol Ink and used Alcohol Blending Solution, Isopropyl and Distress Air Blower to move the colours around.I fixed die-cut circles of vellum together with Distress Collage Medium, coloured by dipping into a puddle of Hickory Smoke and Dusty Concord Distress Inks diluted with water to create a moon. I die-cut the houses from Idea-ology Black Classic KraftStock using Tim Holtz/Sizzix Ghost Town 2 Thinlits and fixed vellum behind the windows and doors. I die-cut the clouds from Distress Watercolor card 3 times and layered to  create dimension.I fixed the plastic spacer frame to the backing panel using Distress Collage Medium and fed the two sets of Idea-ology Tiny Lights through the holes I created on the back of the backing panel.I fixed the die-cuts to the acetate panel using foam adhesive to create dimension and working on the back of the acetate, used my hot glue gun to fix the tiny lights in place behind the die-cuts. I punched a hole on the bottom section of the acetate, fed the remaining tiny lights through to the front and fixed in place behind the middle house and the graveyard die-cut. I coloured the vellum on the middle house with Vineyard Alcohol Ink using a small paintbrush.I added Idea-ology Mummy Cloth along the bottom section and behind the graveyard die-cut to conceal any wires that were showing. 
I fixed strips of foam adhesive around the edges of the acetate and behind the die-cut houses and the moon. I added Black Soot Distress Paint around the edges of the acetate panel and fixed inside the plastic spacer frame. I covered the sides of the spacer frame and the top frame with paper from the Idea-ology Abandoned Paper Stash, sanded the edges to neaten and fixed the top frame on top of the spacer frame. 
I die-cut cobwebs from Idea-ology Black Classic KraftStock using Tim Holtz/Sizzix Frightful Things Thinlits fixed to the frame with Distress Collage Medium, trimmed off the excess and added Mummy Cloth from Idea-ology Halloween Trimmings. 
I fixed Sizzix Adhesive Sheet to Gold Metallic KraftStock, die-cut the famous line from the poem using Tim Holtz/Sizzix Alphanumeric Tiny Type Lower Thinlits and fixed around the edge of the frame. Sizzix Adhesive Sheets are a permanent adhesive but not until you have firmly pressed the die-cut letters down, giving you the chance to reposition the letters until you are happy with the spacing.
I coloured Distress Mica Flakes with drops of Gilded Alloy Alcohol Ink in a plastic cup and added randomly around the frame fixed in place with Distress Collage Medium
I added embossing ink over the Idea-ology Entomology Adornment and Halloween Shape Token, dusted with Ranger Gold and Patina Perfect Pearls, sprayed lightly with water to set and fixed to the frame.

I'll be back soon to share more projects I made for the Live Launch, in the meantime, have fun if you are making a start on your Halloween projects.
Hugs Kath xxx

8 comments:

  1. Morning Kath, its not so often I get lost for words but your designs are doing just that. Stunning, its all I can think of, just stunning.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this amazing project, now to find me a shadow box that I can try my hand at all this Spooky goodness...great details and a wonderful tutorial....thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Thanks for sharing this excellent Blog with us.Keep doing good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way too cool! Love your creative imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The background alone is just incredible, I love your wonderful shadow box and the fact that it lights up is just the icing on the cake! Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kath, thank you for all your inspiration! You always make the best projects!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kath, I can’t wait to give this a try! Please add a link for the shadow box. I ❤️This

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kath, this is stunning! What size shadow box do you use? Also, what is the “spacer frame? Thank you

    ReplyDelete