Saturday, October 1, 2022

Tim Holtz/Sizzix Christmas - Harvey Colorize Thinlits

Happy Saturday my friends, I'm sharing a card I made for the YouTube Live launch of the Tim Holtz/Sizzix Christmas release using the Guardsman from the Harvey Colorize Thinlits. The minute I saw this set of Thinlits, I knew Harvey & Co would be perfect to send Christmas wishes from the UK to all to my crafting friends around the world. If you missed the YouTube Live launch, you can check out all the new dies and 3D Texture Fades from the release and the amazing projects from the Makers over on Tim's YouTube Channel HERE or Blog HERE. I chose the die-cuts from the set and specific colours to create the uniform of the Coldstream Guards regiment and I'm sharing a little bit of history for those of you who don't live in the UK. 

"The Coldstream Guards are the oldest regiment in the British Army, formed in 1605. As part of the Household Division, one of it's principal roles is the protection of  the British Monarchy and this is why you will see them participating in state ceremonial occasions but they are serving soldiers and the regiment has also been deployed around the world and has fought in the majority of conflicts in which the British Army has been engaged."

Little did I know as I sent this card off to Tim and Mario that our beloved Queen Elizabeth would pass away the very next day. So I dedicate this card to Her Majesty and all the regiments of the British Armed Forces who accompanied their Commander-In-Chief on her final journey with dedication, devotion, honour and respect.

with a surprise on the inside
I began by applying Tim Holtz/Sizzix Adhesive Sheets to various colours of Idea-ology Classic KraftStock cardstock and laid out the dies I would need to create the Guardsman. I die-cut 6 of each of the pieces required and laid them out ready for some production line assembly. I find it easier to add each die-cut to each base rather than complete each one individually but hey you do whatever works best for you.Once assembled, I added Ranger Glossy Accents to the boots and lined them up for inspection. The Royal Guards' regiments are inspected before they go on parade, each one has to be perfectly turned out, bearskins brushed, boots polished to a mirror finish and every part of their uniform spick and span.I trimmed Distress Watercolor card to create 3 - 5" x 7" panels, fixed the Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous Moon Mask Stencil in place temporarily on the first panel, spritzed with Iced Spruce Distress Spray Stain, removed the mask and spritzed around the edge of the moon with water, let the colour wick on to the moon and dried. I replaced the Moon Mask and stamped the London stamp from Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous London Sights randomly over the background, inked with Iced Spruce Distress Oxide ink to create a tone on tone effect. I tore a strip of Distress Watercolor card, attached to the bottom of the panel and stamped the Big Ben image from the same stamp set, inked with Black Soot Distress Archival.I fixed Tim Holtz/Sizzix Adhesive Sheets to Idea-ology Black KraftStock and Gold Metallic KraftStock, die-cut the gates using Tim Holtz/Sizzix Gatekeeper Thinlits and fixed in place. I added Distress Grit Paste on the white section using a palette knife, sprinkled with Distress Rock Candy Glitter and set aside to dry.I created the panel for the left hand inside of the card in a similiar way, die-cut the two panels using sections of the Tim Holtz/Sizzix Bold Text Christmas Thinlits, fixed Idea-ology Gold Metallic KraftStock behind the cut out letters and added Idea-ology Christmas Label Stickers matted on to Gold Metallic KraftStock.

One the third panel for the right hand inside of the card, I stamped London and the postage stamp, inked with Barn Door (I think my stamp was dirty because it came out darker than I anticipated) and the postmark with Black Soot Distress Archival inks.
I matted the panels on to Idea-ology Gold Metallic KraftStock trimmed 1/8" larger and fixed the panels to the front and inside of a Black 5.1/2"  x 7.1/2" card blank. I fixed the Guardsman Harvey Colorize characters in place with Simon Says Foam Squares.


I added stars die-cut from Idea-ology Gold Metallic KraftStock using the star from Tim Holtz/Sizzix Twig and Stump Thinlits. I wanted the stars to be dimensional but didn't relish the thought of die-cutting each one 5 or 6 times so I backed the Metallic KraftStock with Sizzix Foam Adhesive before die-cutting.
To finish I tipped Distress Mica Flakes into a plastic portion cup, added some drops of Alcohol Ink Gold Mixative, shook the cup until the Mica Flakes were tinted and tipped them out onto my Glass Media Mat to dry. I applied a thin coat of Distress Collage Medium over the sparkly Distress Grit Paste and sprinkled with the Mica Flakes.

I'll be back soon to share the second project I made for the Live launch, in the meantime, remember it's never to early to make a start on your Christmas makes, so have fun if you have already got your Tim Holtz/Sizzix Christmas goodies.
Hugs Kath xxx